Monday, March 30, 2015

Growing and Learning

One of my roles in life right now is that of Relief Society President.  It has been an eye opening experience.  I spend a fair amount of time worrying about the women in my ward.  The widows.  The divorced. The ones dealing with health challenges in their families.  The ones who can't say no to anything and are burning the candle on both ends.  The ones who won't say yes to anything because they are so wrapped up in their issues that they feel they have nothing to give.  The ones who are unhappy because life hasn't turned out how they planned.

I guess that is just about everybody!

But it is not.

What I have discovered is that there are a handful of women in my ward who can step past the issues in their own lives to live joyfully.  They are patient and kind.  They are quick to serve and to volunteer for anything.  They look for ways to lift others and they know who is in need because they are good listeners and observers.

They are examples for me of how I can grow and improve.  I am so grateful for the women that Heavenly Father has placed in my path.  I am grateful for the members of my "team" both past and present who have skills that I do not and see things that I miss.  I am learning, but it is slow and sometimes painful.  I had one of those situations today where I feel that I reproved someone with sharpness.  Before, her actions and words would have bothered me for a while, but one thing I have become much better at is letting things go.  Now I just have to figure out how to show an increase of love to this woman who probably really needs it.  I know that with some prayer Heavenly Father will help me find the best way to smooth things over.  And that's another thing that I have learned- more trust in my Heavenly Father.

Although some days are hard, I am grateful for my calling.

1 comment:

Tanika said...

I truly think you are probably a really great Relief Society President. You see things that need to be done and you do them to the highest level. You are always thinking of others and I am grateful to be included in your thought bubble.

I think Heavenly Father puts us exactly where he wants us so we can grow. We just have to open our eyes and see the lesson so we don't lose it. I think this is one of those moments and I think it's awesome you saw it and are learning from it.

It makes me think about the lessons I need to be paying attention to. :)

I love you Kaye!