Sunday, January 5, 2014

What a Blow

One of the young men in my Sunday School class has been very excited to serve a mission.  When the age changed to 18 he started making arrangements to graduate early so that he could leave before the big rush.  About 2.5 months ago he put in his papers and he will graduate next Monday.  He had been studying and preparing for years and is much more of a scriptorian than I will ever be!  Today during Fast and Testimony he announced that he will not be able to serve a mission but has been given an honorable exemption.

What a horrible moment.  Of all the young men I know, this young man is the most willing and most prepared to serve.  Tears immediately sprung to my eyes for his loss. And His loss.  What amazed me was the testimony that this young man bore.  He is accepting the Lord's will.  He has no idea what to do or where to turn but he has faith that things are in Heavenly Father's hands.

During Sunday School he taught part of the lesson and discussed how we can hear the voice of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through the scriptures.  He was totally composed and taught concepts that I had never even thought of before.  I am humbled.  I know he will do great things, but I am sad that he will not have the blessings of serving a full time mission.

No comments: