Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Original 12 Days of Christmas with Tags and Poems

This was originally posted on my Evening Birdsong Blog in 2011.  Something has happened to that blog and I can no longer access it.  Thus, the reposting!


(***I know this may seem late for this year, but if you can get to a WalMart and a Dollar Store- you will have no problem putting it together!)

I love doing the 12 Days of Christmas for special people who benefit from knowing someone is thinking of them everyday.  But, I wanted to do something different this year!  I didn't want to base it on the song and go the whole pineapple slices for 5 golden rings kind of thing.  I know there are a lot of suggestions across the web, but none of them were what I wanted.  That is not that unusual for me-  I apparently love to re-create the wheel!!!  

This 12 days gift set can be put together for $20 or less. . . or you can add more expensive items.  Most of the items are available at a dollar store.  The first two items are for the first and last days.

Here's how to do it:

1.  Pick your gifts.  You can pick any 12 of the following items.  These items already have hokey poems written to go with them, so if you pick other items you may need to adjust the poems.  
  • Pear scented hand lotion
  • Amaryllis or Paperwhites ($5 at WalMart)
  • A homemade banner or small decoration for the home ($1 at WalMart)
  • Small can of nuts
  • Crossword puzzle or wordfind book
  • Packet of cocoa
  • Candy (Orange Sticks or Chocolate Covered Cherries)
  • Butter Cookies- small can
  • Note pad (I covered $.68 notebooks with scrapbook paper)
  • Scarf
  • Candle or Battery-Run Candle with Timer
  • Bookmark
  • Emery Boards
  • Sugar-Free Candy
  • Hand lotion (if you can't find pear. . .)
  • Sewing Kit
  • Gift cards
2.  Print the hokey poems*.  I have them in a larger font because I usually do this activity with older people.  Cut them out (cut the "This is for a Bookmark" off, too!) and use a small piece of tape to attach them to the item.

3.  Wrap your presents.  Wrap the poem inside the gift.  I love the look of presents wrapped with brown kraft paper (shipping paper) and tied with hemp string or any kind of string, but you can use any kind of paper.

4.  Print the tags*.  You can print them on cardstock and just cut them out or you can print on paper, glue onto cardstock, and add some glitter to dress them up.  I love glitter, so that's what I did.  Plus. . . my new printer can't handle cardstock.  I advise you to punch a hole in the tags and tie them on.  Taping them didn't work nearly as well.

5.  Print the introductory poem*.  There is one for "brown paper packages tied up with string" and one for other wrapping paper.

6.  Start delivery on December 13 and enjoy the fun!  Our family does the 24th as a family and we don't run away when we ring the doorbell.  Instead, we sing a carol and give hugs to our recipient.


PLEASE. . . do not re-post these on your website.  I am happy to have people use them, but I would like to have them come here to download them.  Feel free to share a link!

*To print these items you will be re-directed to www.box.com.  You will have to create a log-in, but it is a safe company.  If you have any problems, please leave a comment.  I make mistakes sometimes!

No comments: